Monday, May 23, 2011

Nothing Personal

Learning to talk about myself and my life, although it sounds straightforward enough, has been one of the greatest challenges of my life.

When I was 17, a boyfriend of mine observed that "You don't know how to just talk. You discuss philosophy, religion, literature, politics, but you can never just talk".

I replied "Maybe I'm just an intellectual person. I never even THINK about anything else."

He said "No. I know other intellectual people. And they can talk about their personal lives just fine."

Intellectual was always safe. My parents are perfect. I'm so grateful. Now, let's discuss obscure medieval heresies...

2 comments:

  1. I can SO relate to this. I'm now on LC with my dad, and keeping to these topics works wonders. As long as I keep things intellectual I remain on safe ground. Cool, distant, and safe.
    In this way I don't come off the phone feeling like I've been pushed through a mangle. My Nmum died and someone had to get the blame. Emotional topics-no way. We end up in weird world again. Or at least I do. I took the red pill and live in reality now. Wow. It's only been a few weeks, and it's mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard, Anon! Wishing you all the best on this journey!

    ReplyDelete

I encourage comments!!!