Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Anything Will Do

In the game of one-upmanship, narcissists will use anything. Nothing is beneath them.

I remember when I first started going to church, after years of atheism / agnosticism / Gnosticism / whatever. 

My narcissistic father found it appropriate to say: "You think you're so great, going to church now. Well, your mother is a bigger believer than you'll ever be. She's been going to church and praying for years!"

I'd respected my mother's sweet, unassuming piety for years, even before Christianity appealed to me. She was happy I was going to church now. My mother and I exchanged bewildered glances.

Who on Earth turns THAT into a competition? And pits mother against daughter in it? And uses this to put his daughter down?

A narcissist, that's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments!!!